On Friday, it was reported that President Joe Biden is canceling any further construction of the southern border wall using diverted defense funds and will use some funding to counter “environmental damage” from the wall’s construction.
“Today, the Department of Defense will begin cancelling all wall projects using the diverted funds, and will take steps to return remaining unobligated military construction funds to their appropriated purpose as permitted by law, a Biden administration official said of the decision.
“Consistent with the President’s Proclamation terminating the redirection of funds for border wall, no more money will be diverted from other purposes to building a border wall,” the official added.
Using emergency powers after Congress refused to fully fund the project directly, former President Donald Trump had diverted billions in defense and military construction funds toward building the wall.
U.S. House Rep Paul Tonko (D-NY) weighed in on the decision today in a tweet where he said, “The GOP tried to take money from the military to build its wasteful, expensive wall for Trump on the border.”
Tonko then said added in his opinion of why the wall was built in the first place as he claimed, “It wasn’t about security; it was always just a monument to Trump.”
The GOP tried to take money from the military to build its wasteful, expensive wall for Trump on the border. It wasn’t about security; it was always just a monument to Trump. https://t.co/a5qtTiVMGz
— Paul D. Tonko (@PaulTonko) May 3, 2021
Tonko, who represents the state capital city of Albany, may have gotten the idea that it was viewed as a monument from a proposal made last month by U.S. House Rep Madison Cawthorn (R-NC).
Last month, Cawthorn proposed the “Donument” Act, which he said could help ensure the wall doesn’t get torn down and could possibly even help complete it.
Cawthorn’s bill would make the wall into a national monument, if it were to somehow get passed through the Democrat-led government right now.
Republicans have been steadfast however that the wall is, in fact about national security and that Trump was merely a champion for the effort to get the border secured.
Yesterday, we reported:
America First U.S. House Rep Paul Gosar (R-AZ) took a trip recently to the southern border wall with America First Virginia Republican U.S. House candidate Jarome Bell.
The two toured the wall and picked up trash that had accumulated around the structure.
Bell said Gosar “invited me down to see for myself what illegals do when they illegally cross our borders into these small towns.”
Gosar shared a picture of their visit which showed him climbing on the massive structure to give people perspective on the size of the structure.
“When President Trump said the people’s wall would be big and beautiful he wasn’t kidding. I climbed a gate just to show perspective. Let’s finish the dang wall,” Gosar tweeted.
- Kat Timpf Updates Fans After Successful Double Mastectomy with Lighthearted Joke Post - March 20, 2025
- Pam Bondi Drops the Hammer, Announces Charges Against Three Tesla Arsonists With a Minimum Five Year Sentence - March 20, 2025
- Mike Johnson Is Re-elected as House Speaker After Two Republicans Flip Their Votes During First Round of Voting - January 3, 2025